Sunday, September 14, 2008

PTSD

I recently retired medically from the Army. The Army Diagnosed me with PTSD, TBI and other medical problems. I have been through major operations and other medical treatment. What I have learned, is that the Army Medical Program was not ready for this war or what is coming out of this war.
When I first came back from Iraq I was addicted to Opiates, I had a Psychiatric provider who was trying to diagnose me with a personality disorder and started pumping medications into me I probably did not need. It wasn't until I had been here in the "system" for at least six months that I was finally treated for PTSD.
The Army has spent a lot of time educating the chain of command on what PTSD is snd what to look for, but what I have seen, is that as soon as a soldier starts to exhibit these signs, the first thing a commander wants to do is kick that soldier out. There has been studies done that show that one in five soldiers have PTSD. What are they doing when the soldier comes back and starts to drink and use drugs? They are processed for chapter from the army according to regulations.
The first thing the Army needs to do is change the Army regulations to represent what we have learned and what we know today. One of the major signs and symptoms of PTSD is increased drug and alcohol use. There are a lot of agencies doing the research to better understand PTSD, such as the VA. The information is out there, if the Army would use it.
One of the biggest complaints from the soldier today, is once they are labled with PTSD or any other injury that does not permit them to ddeploy with thier unit, they are labled a piece of crap.
The medical and psychiatric services of the military are over taxed, this is a reality. The Army needs to wake up and smell the coffee and give the soldiers what they deserve. Dignity and respect goes a long way to making these soldiers feel the have a purpose in life.
It is not beneficial to place these soldiers in demeaning jobs or make them stand out because they may not be able to do the job they were trained for

No comments: