For the longest time, every time I saw a veteran protesting the war, I became angry. How could they violate and dis honor their brothers by openly showing their great dissatisfation with the war. I have had a lot of time to think about it, and my conclusion is; they have more right to protest that the average person on the street that has never seen the other side. They haven't seen their buddies blown up, or opened fire on a vehicle at a check point just to discover that the people they kill were an innocent family.
People can argue all they want, that when it come to killing in war, it is an accepted thing, morally, leagally and psycologically. I can show many soldiers who have had to pull that trigger on others and kill a fellow human being, even though they be a enemey and I'll also show you many cases of PTSD because of it.
This war is something that needs to stop. The mjority of soldiers over there are there for their second plus tours. We are tearing our soldiers down from the inside out.
What is the answer for this? Already the military health system is overwhelmed. Soldiers are being referred off the instillation for help or they are not getting help on their own. Soldiers and family members are suffering from many different things. When thety are gone the family has separation anxiety; when I came back my son would not let me out of his sight for fear I wouldn't come back. When the soldier does come back the family doesn't know how to deal with them. I Have been back for almost two years now, and still I hit my wife in the middle of the night while I am sleeping, I have very agressive tendencies at times and I have spent thousands of hours in therapy and whatever else can be offered.
One of the most important thing I have found is writing about it, and dealing with feeelings of guilt, anger and fear, just to name a few of the emotions that we go through over there. The thing to remember is that it doesn't go way over night, but hopefully it does get better.
Monday, September 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment